Connect with us

Latest News

Vodafone CEO Vittorio Colao to step down in October

Published

on


Vittorio Colao, chief executive officer of Vodafone Group Plc, poses for a photograph in London, on Monday, Sept. 2, 2013.

Jason Alden | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Vittorio Colao, chief executive officer of Vodafone Group Plc, poses for a photograph in London, on Monday, Sept. 2, 2013.

Vodafone Chief Executive Vittorio Colao will step down in October after 10 years in which he reshaped the world’s second largest mobile operator into a digital communications powerhouse with a string of major deals.

Colao will be replaced by Nick Read, finance director since 2014 and long seen as the likely successor due to his role in running Vodafone‘s operations in Britain and the Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific region.

He will take charge of a group that, under Colao, pulled back from its once brazen expansionist drive to be able to build up its European operations from a pure mobile player to a broader communications provider that offers everything from cable TV to broadband and enterprise services.

Just last week Colao, 56, struck a long-expected $21.8 billion deal to buy Liberty Global‘s cable TV and broadband networks in Germany and Eastern Europe.

But he will be best remembered for one of the world’s biggest deals – the $130 billion sale of its joint venture holding with U.S. group Verizon.

“(Colao) has been an exemplary leader and strategic visionary who has overseen a dramatic transformation of Vodafone into a global pacesetter in converged communications, ready for the Gigabit future,” Chairman Gerard Kleisterlee said.

Vodafone is also merging its operations in the highly competitive Indian mobile market with Idea Cellular.

In Read, investors will get a new chief executive long groomed for the job.

Having joined Vodafone in 2001 he has held a number of roles including sitting on the boards of the company’s listed operations in Africa and Qatar, its subsidiaries in India and Egypt and its joint venture in Australia.

“Nick has been the co-architect of the Group’s strategy together with Vittorio,” Kleisterlee said.

Read will be replaced by his deputy since 2015, Margherita Della Valle. The Italian has previously held other financial and marketing roles within the group after she joined Omnitel Pronto Italia – which later became Vodafone Italy – in 1994.

The announcement came as the company reported a 1.4 percent rise in organic service revenue for its fourth quarter, beating analyst forecasts of a 1.1 percent rise.

Full year core earnings rose 11.8 percent to 14.7 billion euros, beating guidance for “around 10 percent” organic growth and just ahead of analyst forecasts of 14.6 billion euros.

For 2019, the group forecast organic adjusted core earnings growth of between 1 and 5 percent, and free cash flow before spectrum costs of at least 5.2 billion euros, slightly down on the 2018 number of 5.4 billion euros.



Source link

Latest News

Market sees nearly 50% chance of a Fed rate cut by the end of January 2020

Published

on

By


Jerome Powell, chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve, speaks during a news conference following a Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting in Washington, D.C., U.S., on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

Andrew Harrer | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Jerome Powell, chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve, speaks during a news conference following a Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting in Washington, D.C., U.S., on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

Markets are becoming more convinced that the Federal Reserve will be more accommodative on interest rates.

The fed funds futures market is assigning a 47.8 percent probability of at least one rate cut by Jan. 29, according to the CME’s FedWatch tool, which has been a reliable gauge of the Federal Open Market Committee’s actions.

Futures contracts are also implying a 39 percent probability of a rate decrease by Dec.11, up from only 23 percent before the Fed’s policy decision at 2 p.m. on Wednesday.

The Fed left interest rates unchanged on Wednesday and also indicated that no more hikes will be coming this year. The central bank’s policymaker took a sharp dovish turn from policy projections just three months earlier when they estimated two rate hikes would be appropriate in 2019.

The move came along with reduced expectations in GDP growth and inflation and a bump higher in the unemployment rate outlook. The central bank also set the end of its balance-sheet reduction for September. The Fed said it will begin in May to taper the amount of proceeds it allows to roll off each month and will end the program in six months.

“They did what they needed to do to convince the market of their dovish pivot in messaging,” said Jeff Mills, co-chief investment strategist at PNC Financial Services Group.

“The very important thing along that pivot and the downgrade of the economy is that they also need to take some effort to convince the market that the economy is still on reasonably stable footing. I think there’s a balancing act going on with the dovish policy pivot and making sure they are not making investors think the economy is in worst shape than it is,” Mills said.

The CME computes the probability of a rate hike by taking the end-month futures contract, subtracting the level at the beginning of the month, and dividing that by 25 basis points, which is the assumed level of each rate hike.

“The market got what they wanted and then some,” said Jack McIntyre, portfolio manager at Brandywine Global. “This is a version of them being patient and they are going to err on the side of caution.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

NY Mets launch new ticket subscription deal for 78 home games

Published

on

By


FILE- In tis April 5, 2010, file photo, New York Mets' fans celebrate after the Mets' David Wright hit a two-run home run in the first inning of a baseball game against the Florida Marlins at Citi Field in New York.  A person familiar with the announcement says Major League Baseball will announce Wednesday, May 16, 2012, that the New York Mets will host the 2013 All-Star game at Citi Field. The person spoke on condition of anonymity on Tuesday, May 15, because MLB did not reveal the purpose of W

Henny Ray Abrams

FILE- In tis April 5, 2010, file photo, New York Mets’ fans celebrate after the Mets’ David Wright hit a two-run home run in the first inning of a baseball game against the Florida Marlins at Citi Field in New York. A person familiar with the announcement says Major League Baseball will announce Wednesday, May 16, 2012, that the New York Mets will host the 2013 All-Star game at Citi Field. The person spoke on condition of anonymity on Tuesday, May 15, because MLB did not reveal the purpose of W

The New York Mets are offering up a ticket package this season that gives baseball fans Citi Field access up to the last minute.

For $39 a month, people can access the “Amazin’ Mets Pass” on their smartphone, which provides standing room access to 78 home season games. The app allows users to scan their tickets at the gate and upgrade to seated tickets on weekdays.

It’s the latest offering in an economy that’s trending towards subscription services for all types of products.

The program targets millennials and “unconventional audiences,” Mets Senior Vice President of Ticket Sales Chris Zaber told The New York Post.

The ticket service auto-renews each month and works similarly to services offered by teams like the Cardinals and Twins.



Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Boeing is not ‘pro-active’ enough in 737 Max response, Argus says

Published

on

By


Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, a Boeing 737 Max 8, went down shortly after takeoff from Addis Ababa on March 10, killing all 157 people on board. Aviation authorities around the world grounded Boeing 737 Max planes last week after the crash.

On Monday, eight days after that crash, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg came out with a statement saying Boeing will maintain its “relentless commitment to make safe airplanes even safer.”

That statement came after French and Ethiopian investigators said data extracted from the black boxes of the Ethiopian Airlines jet showed “clear similarities” with a deadly Lion Air flight that plunged into the Java Sea in October.

“In the near term, the company is struggling, along with aviation investigators, to quickly determine the cause of two fatal crashes involving the company’s popular 737 Max jet. Until we get some clarity from investigators on the cause of the crashes, and from Boeing on its responses, we think a near-term HOLD rating is appropriate,” Argus said.

Shares of Boeing have dropped 12 percent since the crash on March 10. The stock posted its biggest weekly loss in eight years last week.

“If the cause of the crashes turns out to be a mechanical or engineering issue, Boeing can correct the problem and the industry, which is heavily dependent on the plane, the 737 Max jet, can move on,” the analyst said.

WATCH: How individual airlines are being impacted buy Boeing investigation



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.